Sunday 22 May 2011

Ed Fella


“Design is either permission granted or allowance taken.” – Ed Fella

Edward Fella was born in Detroit in 1938. He is an artist, graphic designer and educator, whose work has had an important influence on contemporary typography here and in Europe. He has devoted his time to teaching and his own unique self-published work which has appeared in many design publications and anthologies. Ed Fella is that rare designer whose work is highly personal yet enormously influential. 

Ed Fella is one designer which I truly look up to as he is encouraging and a good influence. This is one of my favourite pieces of his work. What firstly attracts me is the colour, design and layout but most importantly the text itself.

Fella calls himself an exit-level designer. “I’m my own history! Now I can do what I want.” (Bucher, S 2006)

I wanted some advice, so I emailed him and this is what he wrote back. I was actually amazed that firstly, he replied back to my email and secondly, in less than 24hrs.


References:

Bucher, S. (2006) All Access: The Making of Thirty Extraordinary Graphic Designers

Available at: http://www.edfella.com (Accessed: 19th May 2011)

Available at: http://www.jamierayslater.com/index.php?/projects/ed-fella-poster (Accessed: 19th May 2011)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment